Welcome to SHAPE Vermont!
The Society of Health and Physical Educators of Vermont represents over 325 professional and pre-professional members in the fields of health and physical education. Our goal is to assist members throughout the year by providing advocacy for our profession as well as professional training opportunities and presenting material of importance to them. Each fall an annual conference is held, which offers knowledge about exceptional programs, grants, new state guidelines and services for our members.SHAPE VT has a VOLUNTEER member-based Board who spend countless hours each year serving the society membership. Our services include the following;
- Communicating with the media to educate various target groups about physical education and health programs in the public schools.
- Developing of a schedule for a two-day annual fall conference.
- Planning various workshops offered throughout the year.
- Developing state-level leadership for our profession.
- E-Blast alerts to communicate news and advocacy with our membership.
- Disseminating the latest information from the Vermont Agency of Education and SHAPE America
- Recognizing fellow colleagues through awards recognition at our Annual Awards Banquet.
- Obtaining and distributing grant and scholarships to improve school programs and one's practice.
SHAPE VT updates on the COVID 19 remote teaching and teaching materials
Changing conditions may make it necessary other for teachers to provide lessons ready for their students to complete at home. Therefore, please consider sharing this message with your other physical education and health education staff. As you schools remain on "remote instruction," your members will know their professional association is working for them!
The Vermont Agency of Education has provided our physical education and health education teachers a comprehensive list of resources and guidelines. (updated as of May 21st.) Please note that resources located on the VT AOE website are updated frequently. In addition, download the return to play resource here. Please share these valuable resources with your other school personnel as needed.
Please use our Resources for Educators by Educators page to share standards-based lesson as well as your ideas for teaching. You may also utilize our Twitter and Facebook platforms for sharing information.
We will continue to post updated resources and information relevant to our membership.
We are currently investigating dates for a remote fall conference in order to provide our membership the professional development they need.
SHAPE VT has extended a call to all members to consider whom they will nominate this spring for our Annual Awards recognition. Please log onto our Awards Page to nominate a deserving professional or pre-professional!
On April 11, Saturday of Easter weekend, Maggi Hayes died from the COVID 19 virus. She had been in Burlington Health and Rehab for a long period with various health problems. Maggi was President of VAHPERD in 1973-74. She was a long time dance instructor at UVM, from 1966-early 2000's. She was a physical education graduate from Michigan State and did her graduate work in dance at Indiana University. Maggi choreographed for Orchesis at UVM, Lyric Theater and many high school productions in the Burlington area. Maggi also coached the Synchronized Swim Team at UVM. As a volunteer, Maggi gave waltz lessons for patrons of the Vermont Symphony Orchestra's Waltz Night Fundraiser for many years. Maggi was also very involved with singing groups, including the Burlington Choral Society and the First UU Choir and spent a number of summers in Austria with a choral group. She is survived by one cousin in Chicago, her UVM colleagues, and many dance and music friends.
Latest News & Events
- New--- SHAPE VT For Educators By Educators Remote Resources Page
- VT AOE Covid Resources and policies for PE HE (updated May 21)
- USTA and Net Generation Tennis at Home Resources
- CAIRN "SHAPE America 2020" remote webinars for PE and HE
- Visit our SHAPE VT Resources page for remote learning resources.
- VT AOE Fitnessgram Page
- One Love Foundation Resource to combat teen dating violence
- Volunteer opening: Call for SHAPE VT Treasurer